Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

For 14 years, we have vowed that we would always be "real tree" people. There is nothing better than the smell of a freshly cut pine, and it just doesn't say "Christmas" without one. Every year we have diligently gone to pick out our tree, with great promises that we would water it every day to keep it healthy and green so it would last the entire season. And every year, it never fails, we forget to water it and it ends up turning yellow and becomes a fire hazard by Christmas. For the past couple of years, Brian has tried to talk me into a "fake" tree, so we won't have to deal with dead pine needles all over our carpet, but I have had a hard time giving it up--until this year. My sister, Angie, is moving in with my parents for a couple of months while they remodel their house, so they loaned us their tree this year so we could give the artificial world a try. Can you say "love at first sight"? Not only did it assemble in less than 5 minutes, but it was pre-strung with lights! No juggling the tree in the stand to try to make it fit AND stand up straight. No untangling endless strands of lights just to find out that they don't work this year. No bare spots to try and hide against a wall--just a perfect tree that is all ready to go! It sure made decorating a lot more fun this year! And to make it even better, we won't have any pine needles to vacuum up for the next couple of months. Can you tell I am one happy woman? You better believe that we will be going to an after-Christmas sale to find a great deal on a perfect tree for next year!


The kids had a great time decorating this year. We always listen to Christmas music and the excitement is very high. I felt very blessed as I watched my sweet and precious children get into the Christmas spirit. Christmas is so special and fun with them, and it really makes me appreciate the blessing that they are in my life!



Yes, McKenna is in shorts and decorating the tree. It was actually quite chilly that day, but she insisted. It was warm inside, so I guess it's OK!



Here's sweet Maya, just learning about Christmas and our traditions. She was really mesmerized by the tree. It's funny to think that she probably won't even remember this Christmas!



Here's daddy dancing to Christmas music with his girl. He is such a fabulous dad! It really melts my heart to see things like this!



I guess Alex's green shirt made dad mistake him for the Christmas tree! :)


2 comments:

Heather Atkinson said...

What an adorable family! I hope you guys have a great Christmas together!

Marci said...

We, too, have converted to a fake tree. They are so much easier. Although, I miss the tradition we had when we were little of the real Christmas tree.