We have a lot of people asking us how we are recovering from the accident, so I will give a brief recap of the last few weeks.
Jonah was really fussy for a few days following the accident. I assume he was sore from the car seat harness, so I gave him Tylenol just in case. It's hard to know exactly what was hurting him since he could not tell me. His sleep patterns have also changed. Before the accident, he was sleeping from about 10 pm to 5:30 am. Since the accident, he has been waking up between 1 am and 3 am every night. It has been a little frustrating, but it's better than not having him here at all. I will take it!
McKenna's neck, shoulders, back and chest were really sore following the accident. Her hands had tiny little cuts on them, but they healed pretty quickly. She has had ups and downs with her emotions, but she has (surprisingly) been very open and talkative about her experience. I think it is helping her to heal emotionally.
Andrew could not walk on his foot for over a week. In fact, any time his foot was not elevated he would cry out in pain--the pressure from having it down was just too much to bear. This created a dilemma in helping him get around. For a few days we had to carry him everywhere he went. It's a good thing he is still relatively small, or it would have been a lot harder for me. After a while, he figured out that he could crawl around while lifting up his foot, thus giving him a bit more independence. We still had to help him in the bathroom and carry him outside, but it was progress. At bath time, we put a step stool in the tub so he could prop up his foot while he bathed. Finally, after more than a week, he was able to put some pressure on his foot and walk around. Hallelujah! He was now well enough to go back to school. He was so excited to see his friends again! At about the 2 week mark we were able to get his bandaged foot into a shoe, and he has continued to make steady progress ever since. His foot still needs to be treated and bandaged, but we are happy that his injuries are not more extensive.
It took about 2 weeks for my stitches to fall out. I felt as if my brain was in a fog for a few days before some clarity came back. Then, for a couple of weeks, it seemed like I had to try really hard to remember things. I still forget things now and then, but not as much as before. My neck, shoulders, back and chest were also really sore. All of us are currently seeing a chiropractor, which is helping tremendously.
Another bit of news...we finally found a vehicle that would work for our family. It was very challenging trying to juggle one mode of transportation for the both of us. Luckily, Brian was able to find a ride to work a few times with some generous neighbors and coworkers. This enabled me to run some errands and take my turn in the carpool. We were toying around with the idea of getting an SUV, but when it came down to it we couldn't justify the extra fuel cost. If we didn't live so far from everything it might be worth it. Anyway, we decided to get an 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. We are really enjoying it so far, and hope it will give us many miles of use!
On another note, Andrew's two front teeth have been loose FOREVER. He won't let us pull his teeth, but he is too scared to pull them himself. One of his front teeth was so loose that it looked longer than the other one. It finally popped out at his friend's birthday party as he was taking a bite of his chicken patty. Whew! One down, one to go. A couple of days ago, I noticed that his mouth looked a little funny. I tried to pinpoint what was going on, when I realized that his second tooth had been pushed right smack-dab in the middle of his mouth. Seriously, one of the funniest things I have seen! (Don't worry, I didn't point it out to him :) )
Apparently, his permanent teeth are getting anxious to come in and are trying to shove it out of the way. I am a little nervous about him choking on it, but I would have to pin him to the ground in order to pull it out. I think he has been through enough trauma for a while...suggestions???
No comments:
Post a Comment