Friday, January 31, 2014

A Day I Will Never Forget...

Preface: The following post is a journal entry about a serious car accident we were in last week. The only reason I am sharing it in such a public format is because we have had so many questions and concerns about our welfare. There have also been some misconceptions about the accident that I hope this will clear up. We realize that we have been part of a miracle, and have some very tender feelings about what has happened. This is a very long post, so I have broken it into sections in case you only want to read about the accident. At the time of the accident, McKenna is 10 1/2, Andrew is 5 1/2, and Jonah is 3 1/2 months. We were all buckled up, which helped to save our lives. Also, SQUEAMISH ALERT: There is a picture of Andrew's injured foot in the ER section.

The Morning Rush

Thursday, January 23, 2014 started out as just an ordinary day in the Turner home. Brian usually leaves for work before the rest of us are awake, so when he gets to work he calls so we can have a family prayer. On this day, it was McKenna's turn. I reminded her to pray that we would be protected throughout our day, and she did. Then the hustle and bustle began.

Alex leaves for school first since he is in Middle School. He is supposed to ride the bus, but he missed it and needed me to take him. I rushed him to school, told him I loved him, and hurried back to get the rest of the crew ready. I am in charge of the Kindergarten carpool that day, so I helped get the kids ready for school and headed out the door. I am still in my pj's when I get the kids to school, but I remembered that Andrew was supposed to bring the snack for the Kindergarten treat. Shoot! He is panicking and begs me to go to the store and bring it to him. How can I resist those pleading eyes? I tell him I will do my best, as I have a busy morning planned. I am supposed to go visiting teaching at 11:00 am, I need to pick up the Kindergartners by noon, I still haven't showered or dressed and, before all of that, I need to go to the store and get a snack and take it to the school--which is a challenge when you live clear in the boonies. It is 9:30 am. Oh yeah, one other obstacle: McKenna has had a sore throat for three days that doesn't seem to be getting better. I need to call the doctor's office and schedule an appointment to make sure it isn't strep. I found out the doctor won't be in until later, so I am able to schedule an appointment for 1:00 pm. Perfect! I should have time to get everything done and make it back before Alex and Maya get out of school.

The morning proceeds as planned. I manage to get the treat to school, feed the baby and even shower before I had to go visiting teaching. Before I leave, I ask McKenna if she will pack a lunch for herself and Andrew, as well as get the diaper bag ready, so we can leave for the doctor as soon as I drop off the Kindergartners. She agrees and I'm out the door with the baby. When I return, McKenna has everything ready and we leave for our 40 minute commute to the doctor's office. Everything goes well at the doctor--McKenna doesn't have strep and seems to be feeling better (of course), so we pack up and head out for the long drive home.

The Crash

On the way home, McKenna begs me to stop at the store. I ask her why she wants to stop, and she said she doesn't know, she just feels like she needs to stop. I think about it because there are a few things I need, but I decide that I am tired of running around and just want to get home. In retrospect, if I had only listened to her we would have avoided a lot of heartache. Anyway, Jonah is fussy and McKenna is sitting next to him so she tries to comfort him with his binky. He is inconsolable for a while, but when we get to SR-73, the highway that heads out to Eagle Mountain, he seems to calm down. We turn and head west. I debate one more time about turning into Walmart, but decide that getting the baby home is a bigger priority. I am behind a car that is going well below the speed limit. I follow for a few moments, hoping they will get up to speed, but they don't so I pass them and increase my speed to 55 mph.

We are moving along and I notice that there are no other cars around me. It seems strange since this is a well-traveled road. I look to the eastbound lanes and notice the same thing. I have a strange feeling and am suddenly on high alert. I notice a white car in the eastbound lanes, and it starts to curve into the middle turn lane. I completely expect them to correct their course, but they keep coming--and FAST! I realize that they are going to hit me--it is inevitable. They were heading straight for where Jonah was sitting, and I had the thought (I truly believe it was the Spirit) to move to the outside lane to buy a little more time. I can't believe how calm I felt. I didn't freak out, but quickly moved over into the other lane. It seems as if time stands still until...BAM! I can tell we were hit in the rear of our vehicle.

At this point, we are spinning, rolling and sliding, and I feel myself being thrown around like a rag doll. It's interesting because I don't feel any pain. I hear McKenna screaming and saying, "This is not happening...this is a dream!" I hear Andrew crying and screaming. For some reason I don't remember Jonah screaming while we were rolling, but once we stopped he started wailing. I have to say that hearing my children scream was the best sound in the world...I knew they were at least alive! (Our neighbor works in the courts for the Sheriff's Dept., and he told Brian that we rolled/skid about 1000 ft. I will have to verify that in the police report, but that is crazy!) I feel dizzy and disoriented. I realize that we are upside down, suspended by our seat belts. I suddenly have a fear--what if we are hit again? I don't dare move for a few moments. I hear McKenna saying, "I love you, mommy. I love you, mommy," over and over. Later she would tell me that she thought I was dead. After some time, I decide to unbuckle my seat belt. I flopped down and was able to crawl out my broken window. I looked back into the van and notice Andrew is out of his seat belt, sitting on the ceiling. Strange. Any coherent mom would then do everything she could to get her kids out of the vehicle. I, however, was not coherent, and could only sit by the van and listen to my children scream, hoping for someone to come and help.


Help

A few moments later, I see someone running toward me. Amazingly, it is my awesome neighbor, Angie. She had no idea it was us until she got to the van. Her story of how she happened to be there that day is pretty miraculous, but I will save it for another time. When she recognizes me she says, "Krista! What can I do?" I cannot tell you the immense feeling of relief and gratitude to see someone I knew. "I don't know," I mumble. She then proceeds to help Jonah out of the car. He is screaming until she picks him up, and then he instantly stops. Angie later told me she thought Jonah had stopped breathing, so she quickly looked at him and he just stared up at her, perfectly fine. He didn't even have a scratch. Because I was in shock, the timeline of events is a little fuzzy from this point on, so I will do my best.

I did not see how McKenna and Andrew were helped out of the car. Angie told me that a man got on his back and slid through the broken window by McKenna. She said he slid under her, unbuckled her seat belt and let her fall on top of him. He then slid out of the car with McKenna, sparing her from cuts from the broken glass. Angie said it was amazing to watch, and she wondered if he had some rescue training. I wonder if that man had a torn shirt or cuts all over his back from helping her? What a selfless person he was to put himself at risk to help my daughter. McKenna was very fortunate because she came away from the accident with only some minor cuts on her hands. However, her emotional scarring will take longer to heal.

Andrew told me that he crawled out of the car himself. His foot was pretty bloody and he couldn't walk on it. He said that a lady "with blonder hair than him" picked him up and carried him to me. I remember looking at Andrew's foot and thinking, "Wow! If that's all we have to deal with then we are so blessed!" McKenna and Andrew were sitting by me, crying, and I just hugged them and said, "It's OK, we are all alive! We are so blessed!" It was about this point that I notice something is not quite right with my head. I reached my hand up and touched the back of my head and feel that my hair is moist and matted. I looked at my fingers and see that they have blood on them. I am still not really feeling pain, so I continue to try and focus on comforting my children.

A woman (I believe the same one who helped Andrew) handed me her cell phone and asked if there was anyone I needed to call. I dialed Brian's number, praying that he would answer since he wouldn't recognize the number. He did and I told him we were in an accident, but everyone was OK. He broke down and started crying. He told me later that the moment between my telling him about the accident, and telling him everyone was OK, was the longest moment of his life. He said he even thought, "Which of my children isn't here anymore?" I told him I didn't know to which hospital we were being transported, but I would call him back when I knew.

I remember an EMT coming up to me and asking if I knew who I was and what day it was. I gave him my name, but I had to really think about the day. Finally I said, "It's Thursday the 22nd." Well, at least I got half of it right. It then seems like it takes forever to assess all of our injuries and get us ready to leave. The EMT gives me a choice of two hospitals, American Fork or Riverton, since our injuries are not life-threatening. I think about Brian and decide that it would probably be faster for him to get to Riverton. He then asks me if I feel like I need a stretcher, or if I can sit. If I need a stretcher we would need two ambulances, since Andrew's injuries required him to also need one. I could not imagine being separated from my children right now. I tell him I think I will be fine. I looked over at my neighbor and asked her if she could take Jonah to the hospital since he was doing well, and room was limited in the ambulance. She immediately agrees, and we load up the ambulance. (As a side note: I told Angie, after the fact, that I thought it was funny that I assumed she would be willing to give up her time to take Jonah to the hospital. My brain wasn't firing on all pistons at the time. Of course, being the gracious and amazing person she is, she said she was going to the hospital anyway.) The EMT then asked me if there were some things in the van I would need. I tell them I want the diaper bag, Andrew's other boot, Andrew's coat and my phone. It seems silly to me now that I would be concerned about Andrew's boot. It was ripped off of his foot in the crash and was some distance down the road. In fact, the top part of his boot was ripped away from the sole, and it is a total loss. Besides, there was no way Andrew would be wearing that boot any time soon. At any rate, they found the diaper bag, boot and coat but my phone was lost. It felt so weird not being able to contact anyone. It made me realize how dependent I am on technology. I have to pause here and take a minute to thank the fabulous EMT's/Fire Dept. for the amazing work they do! They were so kind and professional, and they knew exactly what to do in this situation. When Andrew is better we may need to go and thank them in person--they are fantastic!

The ER

Upon our arrival at the ER, we are taken to a large room with two beds. I felt so thankful that we could remain together. After a few minutes, Brian comes into the room. He hugs me and we both break down. It is the first time I have lost my composure. Tender words are exchanged (I will leave it at that), and then Brian goes to check on Andrew. I change into a hospital gown and am ordered into the bed. I am really dizzy, and my vision doesn't seem right. Then I go into shock and start shaking uncontrollably. The nurse brings me some warm blankets and lays me back. The doctor wants to do a CT scan to make sure I don't have a brain bleed, so they hook me up to an IV and give me the contrasting solution.

Meanwhile, Angie is there with Jonah, and McKenna is sitting in a chair by me, obviously shaken. Earlier, Angie had called another friend in our neighborhood, Tiffany, and told her about the accident. I told Angie to ask Tiffany if she would get Alex and Maya from school and meet us at the ER. Another side note: a few months earlier, before Jonah was born, I was nervous about going into labor while my kids were in school. I added Tiffany on the list of authorized people to check out Alex from school, and I added my friend Annabell on the list to check out my elementary kids. This proved to be invaluable today. There were also a series of small miracles that led to Tiffany being able to be there as well. I definitely know we were watched over. Anyway, Tiffany came in with Alex and Maya about this time. It was so good to have my whole family together! Alex was visibly worried, but I think once he saw us he started to feel better. My sweet sister, Michelle, also came to be with us at the ER, in case we needed any help with the kids. It was so nice to have people there to support us and offer comfort.


Andrew's foot
Angie had also called her husband, Kent, who is our Home Teacher. He is a nurse at another hospital and was working when he got the call. Because of the situation, he was able to leave a little early and come to the hospital to be with us. It was invaluable to have him there. He assessed Jonah and McKenna to make sure they didn't have any unseen trauma. He then cleaned McKenna's cut hands and checked for bits of broken glass. He was able to assist with Andrew and help keep him calm while his injuries were treated. He was amazing! Andrew had an abrasion on his face, but his foot was the more serious injury. His right ankle on the outside was swollen and bruised, and the inside of his ankle/foot area was raw and bleeding. There are also two puncture wounds--it almost looks like he was impaled with something sharp that went inside one area and came out another. The doctor thought he might actually have a compound fracture. After a series of x-rays, it is determined that he doesn't have any broken bones. Such a blessing! He had stitches to close the puncture wounds, and his open, raw wound was cleaned and bandaged. We would need to continue his wound care at home, and Kent didn't hesitate to offer his help.


He still manages a smile...
At this point we didn't know what had happened to Andrew's foot. He was buckled and sitting in his booster, so I couldn't imagine how his foot could have been so damaged. After a few days, Andrew remembered what happened to him and told me about it. He said "while we were rumbling and tumbling, my seat belt came loose." He said that when the van stopped, his feet were trapped in the part of the seat belt that goes across your chest, and his hands were hanging down on the ceiling (remember we were upside down). My guess is that because his seat belt had loosened, he slid up out of his seat and his boot was ripped off of his foot by the seat belt. His other boot somehow remained on his foot and became lodged in the shoulder part of the seat belt, since it was locked. I think that the other snow boot, along with the locked shoulder belt, actually ended up saving his life. I don't know if the seat belt malfunctioned, or if he hadn't cinched it down tight enough when he buckled. I do know, however, that I will always check to make sure it is buckled properly from now on. I also know that angels were surrounding and protecting him that day.

As for me, the CT scan came back normal (another blessing) and I am told I have a concussion. I have a small cut on the back of my head that required a few stitches, but both Andrew and I are well enough to go home.

Leaving the hospital

Words cannot express my gratitude that we are relatively OK. It could have been so much worse! As I've said before, I know we were watched over, and angels were surrounding us that day. I cannot doubt that we have been part of a miracle.

I don't know why the other driver hit us. I have heard two possibilities, both very different accounts, so I will wait for the formal police report to give us more information. Either way, I'm sure that person and their family are shaken up by this experience as well. I feel no anger or animosity, just relief that everyone is OK. I hope we can get things resolved quickly and get back to "normal" soon.

Sometimes we may not understand why we need to go through certain trials in our lives. I don't know why we were meant to have this experience, but I do know that it has changed me profoundly. I hope I can learn what I need to learn, and possibly help someone else in the process. My friend was teaching about the importance of seat belts to approximately 100 students at her daughter's school yesterday. She said she shared our experience, and it really seemed to resonate with the kids. She told me, "your experience could have just saved 100 children." I truly hope so. I am so glad buckling up is not an option in our family. I'm grateful I was able to go home and hug my children because they were buckled, rather than saying, "If only..."

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Krista. I am so touched and thankful. As I'm reading this through tears, I can feel the spirit as you testify of this miracle. How thankful I am that you and your sweet family were protected and are here to share this experience. I know it's made me realize how blessed we are to have each day with our loved ones. Life is so precious. I'm so thankful for heavenly and earthly angels who came to help you that day. My heart is full. Love you guys. Sending our love and well-wishes.

Krista said...

Thanks Am! We certainly were blessed. We love you guys so much too, and, hopefully, we'll get to see you soon. :)

janderson said...

What van did you have, and was your son in a high back booster? Would you suggest keeping your kids in a five point? Also where were your kids placed in the van? I've heard that placement is key in safety... I ask because I want my children to be as safe as they can thank you. And I'm so glad your story had a happy ending

Krista said...

We had a Nissan Quest, and it was a 7 passenger van. The second row had 2 captain chairs, and the back row was a typical 3 seat bench. My baby was behind my seat in the captain chair, and my 10 year old was in the other captain seat. My 5 year-old was in the far back seat, passenger side. He wasn't in a high back booster, and I wonder if his injuries would have been lessened if he were. We have since purchased a high back booster with side impact protection for him. I would definitely suggest keeping your kids in a five point as long as you can. I am not sure if my son's seatbelt malfunctioned, or if it just wasn't properly tightened, but I always check it now. Thanks for your comment!

Kara said...

I am reading your story from ksl, I was in a roll over 2 years ago that I was also lucky to survive with minimal injuries but I was not wearing my seatbelt! I however appreciate your story and babysit my niece all the time and will be double checking her car seat super close! Thank you for sharing to help others

Krista said...

Kara, I am so glad you were OK! Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'm glad your niece will will be double-checked for safety...it's something I will be doing with my own kids as well. :)

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thenatural said...

Glad your family is ok. Just curious if you found out what caused the other driver to hit you?

Krista said...

We have heard two different versions, but haven't seen the formal police report yet. Hopefully we will find that out soon.

Melinda said...

I am so thankful you all are o.k! My husband is a Paramedic, and he has seen countless accidents where people practically walk away from accidents when the conditions of the accident say that they should have been badly injured, or worse. The common phrase he and his coworkers use for this is, "Only in Utah!" I have no doubt that you and your family were protected that day. Thanks for sharing your story. I have yet to meet you, but I am one of Maya's primary teachers. Love her! :)

Krista said...

Thanks so much Melinda! It was definitely a miracle. I do know that the situation would have been very different had we not buckled up. BTW, Maya told me that she loves her primary teachers. :) I look forward to meeting you!

DrKemp said...

Good parenting and safety always pays off. Thanks for sharing.
Hope you guys are seeing a good chiropractor after the accident.

Chris Almond said...

Hello,
My Mother was the driver of the car who hit you. I know she feels incredibly sorry about the accident and has been trying to find out how your family managed and was grateful when my sister found the article linking to this blog. Our whole family is relieved to learn that no one was seriously injured and are sympathetic to the trauma you have experienced.

To explain:
My mother is in her early 60's and suffers from chronic pain (as well as some other, less debilitating ailments, for which she is considered 'disabled', as you may or may not have noticed from the little blue wheelchair on her license plates) and takes a variety of medications.

Around the holidays, she experienced two 'fugue states', where she was awake and moving, but not fully aware or conscious, speaking in sentences not fully formed.
The second of these instances culminated in a seizure, which led my mother to seek the diagnostic help of a neurologist. It was thought that it may be a side effect from how her various medications interact, or possibly a mild stroke she suffered without realizing it. (since the cause has yet to be deciphered, I suppose the possibilities remain vast.)

Unfortunately, on the day of the accident, while driving home from lunch with my sisters she began to experience this 'fugue state' once again, which led to her hitting your car. She still can't remember clearly how it happened, but she does recall the first thing she asked the officer who came to her aid was about the well being of your family.
Since the accident, she has recognized that possibility of this fugue state re-occurring while behind the wheel is far too great for her to risk ever driving again and will not be purchasing a new car (which is hard for someone like her, living in a remote area like Eagle Mtn, to suddenly lose the independence a vehicle provided).
Considering the circumstances, we are all lucky this turned out the way it did.
When it was learned she had hit a van filled with children, we were sickened with dread and what may have happened and are all relieved to learn your family came out of this relatively unharmed.
I appreciate your not rushing to conclusions or judgements about how this accident happened.
It is strange the way two lives can become suddenly intertwined like this and I know my mother has kept you in her prayers.
I suspect my mother may be contacting you personally in the not-too-distant-future to try and express her sorrow for the trouble she has caused you.

Anna said...

So happy you guys are safe! I saw your story on KSL. I know you guys were watched over by angels, and I'm glad you are a smart momma and buckle your kids up!

Krista said...

Thank you Dr. Kemp. We have actually not been to the chiropractor yet but need to go this week. Are you in the area?

Krista said...

Chris, thank you for contacting me. I want you to know that there has never been any anger toward your mother--only gratitude that we were all alive. It was a pretty traumatic experience, but we are healing. I'm sure it has been difficult for your mother as well. I wish her the best and hope that she is able to determine the cause of her condition, as well as find relief.

Krista said...

Thanks for your kind words, Anna. It really means a lot!

Katelynn VanBuren said...

I just read your blog post I have never heard about your blog or you untill today but thank you very much for sharing your story it is helping me cope with my car accident that happened a little over a week ago I'm 16 and had just gotten insured, my license, and the keys to my car all that day like you said with Mckenna wanting you to stop at the store, for me it was my parents not wanting me to drive but I begged and begged and begged and finally they agreed to let me drive to the high school with them following right behind me we both had green lights and I was turning left so I had to yield but I treated like a four way stop instead I let one car go and then I tried to go as a huge truck came the other way it totalled my car completely just like you and your family the seat belt is what saved my life I am also very blessed for I should be paralysed but miraculously walked away from the crash with very minor injuries I like Mckenna was and still am emotionally shooken up but like you I had friends who happened to be going to the high school and were right behind my parents who were able to comfort me so I just needed to say thank you for helping me get through my crash I to had angels surrounding me that day I would really like to get in contact with you and learn more about your story (only if you want to talk about it though) but if you want to and you get the time my email is kvb411@gmail.com

Jeanne said...

Krista your family has been in my prayers constantly since the accident. I was behind the car that hit you and first on the scene. I was so relieved to see you crawling out of the window and to hear your children crying. I loved your sons comment about the woman "blonder than him." That was me. I wanted to let you know what an amazing Mother you are. In the midst of a crises you remained calm for your children and I couldn't help but notice your concern for the many things you were in the midst of doing when the accident occured. This has stuck with me. Since witnessing your accident I have pulled the seatbelts a little tighter :) Love and continued prayers for your beautiful family.

Krista said...

Oh Jeanne! I have thought a lot about you since the accident. Thank you SO much for all you did for my family. I have wished I had the presence of mind to get your name & info so I could thank you in person. McKenna just told me how nice you were to her, and how you helped her calm down. I wish I was more coherent at the time so I could remember everything you did. I would love to hear your perspective about the accident. If you still have my husband's cell phone #, please text him so we can get in touch, if you don't mind.