Monday, December 15, 2008

Groovy Moves


Last Saturday, McKenna performed in a Christmas Recital with her dance class. She had a lot of fun and she did a fabulous job! Here she is with her cousin, Abby, and her friends, Belle and Brinly. Brinly's mom, Jana, made darling matching bows for all 4 girls. My niece, Lauryn, is also in a hip-hop class with the same dance company, so she performed as well--and also did a great job! It was fun to see the girls perform what they have worked so hard for these past few months.

OK, I would like some opinions on this subject. Brian is kind of "freaking out" a little in regards to McKenna's costume. The front isn't so bad, but the back is pretty much non-existent. We have been trying to teach McKenna about the importance of modesty, so how can we expect her to be modest in every day life, but let all the rules go "out the window" when it comes to dance? We would NEVER let her wear a dress like this to a prom. In fact, she has some halter-type sun dresses that we require her to wear a shirt under, so how do we get around this? For those of you who were dancers, did you ever run into this problem, and what did you do about it? Did your parents let you have different rules for dancing? We would appreciate any advice we could get on this matter.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Brei said...

Elena's costume is the same! Halter top in front, non-existant in the back. I talked to her teacher (who was kinda defensive about the whole thing: the company's only rule is no mid-riffs, but I know there are modest costumes out there! I saw them last night!) and she agreed to let Elena wear a nude leotard under it. Granted, does it really make that big a difference in what people see? We've been dealing with the same things with modesty and our conclusion was that until she understands the difference between a costume for dance and playing dress up or wearing those clothes normally, adjustments have to be made. Personally, I don't think it's fair that teachers pick these things without consulting the parents-I don't care if it's a costume-it's still immodest and doesn't need to be! Anyway, that's my two cents! Miss you guys!

Scarlett said...

So, I want to put Kassi in dance, but that is a big concern for me as well. I grew up with very strict modesty rules, and want to enforce those with my children as well. Good luck!

Williams Family said...

Hey ladie that fine if you stole picture i can e-mail you some if you want me to. Also i will put you on my blog as well. Cute blog and pictures. I like how you haver them on there you will have to teach me how to do that. Thanks again.