Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentines Day

Valentines Day this year was a little different than in years past. We had an adult-only ward Valentines party the night before, and we had babysitters (aka 2 very cute Young Women) from our ward volunteer to babysit for free. Well, we decided it would be hard to find a babysitter on Valentines Day, so we opted to save the money from an expensive night out and take the free option. The dinner at the party was really yummy, and they played the "Newlywed Game" with 4 couples in the ward, which was really entertaining! It was nice to get away for a couple of hours and know that our kids were in good hands!

Every year, we get the kids a small gift for Valentines Day. Well, this year, Alex got specific in asking for what he wanted. I told him that whatever he got was going to be $10.00 or less, so he did some digging and found some Star Wars Legos that were $9.99. I told him that he may or may not be getting the Legos, he would just have to wait and see. Well, of course, I got the Legos, and Brian bought McKenna and I a really pretty necklace from Lia Sophia. I got Maya a Strawberry Shortcake DVD, since that is her favorite right now. Well, Friday night, the kids wanted us to hide the gifts, like the Easter Bunny hides their Easter baskets. They thought it would be more fun to find them, than just having them sit out. Seeing no harm in this, we complied with their request. Well, imagine our surprise when the next morning, at 5:45 am Alex came into our room wanting to go and find his gift! When we told him to go back to bed, he and McKenna came back in at 6:30 am. It was like Christmas morning all over again! Brian told them that next year, they wouldn't be able to have their gift until after breakfast! I guess the little things we do really stick with them!

The rest of the day was pretty much a typical Saturday--chores, laundry, etc. We decided to get Bajio for dinner and then we watched Harry Potter # 5 with the kids. (We have been watching the Harry Potter series the past month with Alex and McKenna, and they are loving them!) It was fun to spend time together and not have to fight the crowds on Valentines Day!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds fun! That is cute they wanted to hide them, and funny to read how they were waking you up like Christmas morning. I will have to remember that...we did the same. Just took it easy and mostly celebrated as a family. I am just not a huge valentines girl, but I did notice now that we have a kid, any good excuse for Ryan and I to have some alone time is staring to be more meaningful!

Scarlett said...

That is hilarious! Waking you up at 5 in the morning! I would have told them to go back to bed, too! Love your V-Day cookie party tradition. What a great idea!

Cory and Tia said...

You guys are nicer than us - or we're just cheap! Sorry we didn't stop by to say hi. It was our "just the two of us" weekend. We'll visit next time!