Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Saga--the Hype?


OK, so last week I finished reading the Twilight series. I have to admit that it was a good story--Stephenie Meyer has a freakishly crazy imagination, and they definitely keep your attention. But what is it about these books that creates so much hype? Can someone help me out on this? What is it about these books that makes women wish they could be seduced and bitten by a vampire?

My cousin was so enthralled with them that she bought her husband some fangs--UGH! Or equally as bad, they made my brother wish he WAS a vampire (his poor wife!)? What is up people??? First of all, there is no such thing as a vampire! Second of all, if there was, I would not want to be within a 5,000 mile radius of one! I think you've gone a little too far when you start merging fiction with real life. I agree it's good to "get away" from reality and escape into the pages of a great book. But when you want to "act out" the story (especially this one) , that's when you need to have your head examined! Is your life really that mundane and boring that you have to live in the head of a fictional creature? What kind of world would it be if everyone went around biting each other until they drew blood--because it was sexy? That's one thing I'm trying to tell my 2 year-old NOT to do!

Maybe I am so skeptical because I had heard so much about the books before I read them. You know when everybody keeps telling you that these books are the best they have ever read, and so you read them and are a little disappointed? It was a little bit of a downer for me because I was expecting to be dazzled and amazed, but didn't quite make it that far. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline but I am still waiting for that ultimate "high". OK, enough of my rantings--just some food for thought (no pun intended).

4 comments:

The Bowlers said...

Ha Ha, Kris your funny. I know how it is when you have high expectations and then you get let down. I was kind of bored with the last one to be honest. But I'm glad you finished them :)

Heather Atkinson said...

THANK YOU KRISTA!!! I thought I was the only woman in the world who was not sucked into the sappiness of those books. I'm so glad to know of someone else who doesn't wish they were married to Edward. :D

Cory and Tia said...

Hear, hear! You just said everything I've been saying about these books for a couple years now. Only I couldn't ever bring myself to read them. You rock, Krista!

Bonnie said...

Just finished the first one in the series. Ryan even read it. We both agreed it was fun, and that was about it. I have enjoyed other books much more. The Harry Potter series, for example, has more substance.