Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Simple Pleasures

This little boy loves balloons--ALOT! He loves them so much that he has a special nickname for them: "my precious balloon". Actually in his lingo it sounds more like "my pee-sus bwoon". Don't ask me where he got that phrase because I really don't know. It is so cute to hear him say it. I hesitate giving him latex balloons because they break so easily, and I worry about him choking on the pieces. We found that the dollar store has mylar balloons with strings that are long enough that if he lets it go, he can grab it himself. Mylar also stays afloat a lot longer, which means the fun lasts a lot longer! Of course, we still supervise his balloon-time--after all, he's only 2 and accidents can still happen.



There really is something magical about a floating balloon. I remember the joy I felt as a child when I was lucky enough to be the proud owner of a helium balloon. It didn't matter where it came from--the grocery store, a restaurant, the clown at the carnival--I felt I was the luckiest girl alive! I remember the feeling of carrying my "tresure" wherever I went. I remember how terrified I was when I had to carry it outside, for fear that it would fly out of my hands to be lost forever. I also remember the sorrow I felt when my balloon would pop, which usually happened when my balloon flew into our "popcorn-covered" ceiling (who else remembers that not-so-lovely decorating disaster?). Balloons are definitely one of life's simple pleasures!

No comments: